Breathe, Connect, Create

Breathe, Connect, Create...

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

One Small Step... One Giant Leap

As a mom, I constantly find myself analyzing our days and wishing that I had done things differently. When life gets in the way its tough to always have a smile on your face and I certainly don't drop everything I'm doing and play with her as much as I'd like. I know I'm a good Mom, but I think all moms wish that they were BETTER than themselves. So, generally I spend a lot of time reflecting on how I could have done today better. 
But this weekend I had a small mom victory. Riley and I were house sitting at a friends and we were sleeping together in the guest bedroom. All of the sudden I wake up around 4am to this warming sensation on my back. My kid just peed the bed and more importantly all over me and herself (whom I'd just bathed!). As soon as I realized what had happened I began to mentally panic: this is not our house!, are there covers on the mattresses?, does she have another pair of pjs?... on and on. But then a great thing happened. Before I woke her to clean her up I took a deep breath, put a smile on my face and subconsciously decided not to make a big deal out of things. I made a palette on the floor, gingerly cleaned her up and laid her back down (the next morning she was non the wiser!) and started scrubbing the uncovered mattress. After everything was in the wash and I finally got to lay back down I still had that smile on my face and I fell asleep knowing that I couldn't have handled the situation any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment